For 3 years I have been back in the sewing game after a 30+ year hiatus, and what I haven't been able to remember on my own, I have been able to learn and relearn. So if you're thinking of taking up the hobby, go for it!
There are a few obvious essentials:
1. sewing machine
4. thread, bobbins, pins or clips
7. tape measure
Here are a few other things that make sewing easier that might not seem so obvious.
9. Seam ripper. I make mistakes. I've had to take projects apart and start over. Even the most experienced sewists do, too.
10. Pen with Soluble or Disappearing Ink. I need to be able to mark my fabric for patterns, hem lines, cutting, and so on.
11. Nippers. I call them that. They are little sewing scissors that are actually called thread snips. Even if your machine has an automatic thread cutter, you will need these small scissors. Your regular fabric scissors can be unwieldy when trying to cut small threads.
13. Patterns. I have purchased a few, but I also find free patterns on the Internet.
I'm linking up with Thursday 13.